Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The Morehouse Dress Code

I wasn't able to comment on the new dress code that Morehouse College instituted on it's campus since I've been gone but when I heard about it I was shocked but pleased about the decision. I have posted a few thoughts on this very topic before but it looks like it has become reality! Now I have never been a fan of dress codes in general but I understand the reasons for it now. I don't think saggin pants and gold grills on your teeth is a good look for college and the business world. The fact that these young men are in college means that they are already ahead of the curve.....I hope that they won't throw it all away over some bling! I do believe in having your own look and style and the freedom to express yourself but there is a time and place for that. I'm not sure what the whole cross dressing thing was about but it might have been the straw that broke the camels back. Maybe this will catch on at other colleges and maybe even into the high school level. Below is a list of the Morehouse dress codes.

The policy details 11 expectations of students, including:
* no caps, do-rags and/or hoods in classrooms, the cafeteria, or other indoor venues.
* no sun glasses worn in class or at formal programs.
* no jeans at major programs, as well as no sagging pants on campus.
* no clothing with derogatory or lewd messages either in words or pictures.
* no wearing of clothing usually worn by women (dresses, tops, tunics, purses, pumps, etc.) on the Morehouse campus or at college-sponsored events.
Students that violate the new rules risk academic suspension.

Now....what to do with those bad boys who break the rules? I know the official policy would be suspension or maybe even expulsion in extreme cases but I think you all know what I think should happen! All rule breakers should report to the Deans office and given a choice of the paddle or suspension. I would have to think that most of these young men would be in more trouble from there fathers if they found out they were suspended from school! I would rather take a few licks from the paddle than getting the strap from my dad....wouldn't you? Of course this is all in my fantasy world but a guy can dream right? I'll keep my eye on the dress code issue just in case they take my advice!

2 comments:

  1. I heard about the dress code issue on a local black radio station hosted by Michael Baiston.It was stated that these men were wearing pumps and mini,mini skirts,makeup and arched eyebrows. When Michael interivewed some of these cross dressing men, they saw nothing wrong with it! Apparently their real goal at Morehouse isn't getting an education, but cruising for someone to sleep with! I feel that is totally inappropriate. It was reported to be very distracting to the other students, who complained against it. By the way,it was reported that it was the other students who pushed for reinforcement of the dress code, not the administration. Maybe a masked vigilante spanking squad should visit the campus and take some these cross dressing male students and give them some good OTK buttwhuppings which apparently they need! Right??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Ayejay.....I didn't realize that the cross dressing thing was happening there....I can see how that might make people a little uncomfortable but education should be the priority. Now for the masked vigilante squad....it should be called "Alpha Beta Spank" They can patrol the campus looking for saggers, Do-rags, bling, ect and administer quick justice right on the spot in front of there fellow classmates or whoever is there watching!

    ReplyDelete